ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- The Department of Civil Engineering (CED) is continually upgrading in terms of academic programs and research infrastructure with Bachelors and Masters Programs .
- Well-equipped Laboratories with modern sophisticated instruments to tackle new challenges in research.
- Master’s program in Geomechanics & Structures commenced in 2014 with the view to produce post graduates proficient in both Geotechnical and Structural engineering.
- Contemporary software packages like Plaxis 3D, Ansys, E-Tabs & SAP are being conducted to the post graduate students and research scholars.
- MOUs with professional societies like IGS, GRACE, APS, ICI, ASGC, BAI etc.- a feature which very few have achieved in Kerala.
- CED has established several competitions and prizes like AISAT-IGS award for best
M-Tech thesis in Geotechnical Engineering, AISAT-GRACE award for the best B.Tech thesis in Civil Engineering, annual best paper presentation contest, Tech fest etc.
- Fostering the technical as well as professional skills of the students through internship training, software training, meet your elders in the profession, seminars and workshops
- CED is advancing step by step to achieve our cherished goal of becoming a front runner in the field of engineering education in Kerala.
- Indian Concrete Institute -Finishing Aids for Civil Engineers (ICI-FACE)
- Form work Design in association with ICI
- Deminar on Non Destructive Testing of Concrete
- Survey Camp
- FEM- Applications in Civil Engineering
- STTP on Engineering Graphics
- LATEX software
- FEM application in Civil engineering using ANSYS
- Survey Camp
- Ambuja Cements Ltd., Wellington Island
- Metrola Steels, Muvattupuzha and Crystal Granites, Chully
- Peechi Dam
- Cochin Port Trust
- NCC Smart City Site, Kakkanad
- Metro casting yard, Kalamassery
- Green Readymade Steel Products India, Kollar, Karnataka
- Sattva Laurel Heights by RASK Construction, Nagasandra, Bangalore
- Cochin International Airport, Construction of New Terminal
- Idukki Hydro Electric Project
|Date||Guest||Topic of Lecture|
|20-Apr-13||Prof. S.R. Gandhi, Head, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras||Presentation on Retrofit Methods for Building Foundations|
|24-Jul-13||Mr. Prince Jacob, Deputy General Manager, Products and Purchases, Manjooran Housing Pvt. Ltd.||Surveying|
|14-Aug-13||Er. Babu Vargheae, Project Director, Lulu Group of companies||Constructing the India’s largest Shopping Mall|
|11-Sep-13||Mr. Sunil Kumar, Manging Director, Asset homes||Entreprenuership|
|27-Sep-13||Dr. N V Nayak, Principal Advisor, Gammon India||Recent Advances in concrete technology|
|27-Nov-13||Er. Ravi George, Paradigm IT Pvt. Ltd.||Civil Engineering Profession|
|12-Dec-13||Prof.Dr. K Balan Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering Trivandrum||Opportunities in Civil Engineering|
|16-Jan-14||Mr. Ranjith P, Manager, Civil Aid Cochin||Latest technologies for research|
|02-May-14||Dr. Martin Juan, Environmental Engineer||Behaviour of Debris Covered Glaciers|
|02-May-14||Ms. Marita Shelling||System of Education in Austria|
|25-Jul-14||Dr.Paul Mathew, Staff Scientist & Deputy Leader of commercial building sysyems group, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA||Energy efficient structures|
|03-Jan-15||Prof. Dr. Raman Menon Unnikrishnan, HOD & Dean, California State University, USA||Global Relevance of Technical Education|
|19-Mar-15||Smt. Jolly Thomas, Retd. Supdt. Engr, Kerala Water Authority||Water conservation|
|31-Mar-15||Er. Suresh, Associated Structural Consultants, Kochi||Comparison between IS 800-1984 & IS 800-2007|
|30-Jun-15||Prof. UnniKartha, Placement officer, FISAT||Prospects in Civil Engineering|
|24-Jul-15||Mr. Shivaprakash Gangappa, Product Segment Manager-Admixtures, Fosroc Chemicals (India) Pvt Ltd.||Use of Admixtures in Concrete|
|10-Aug-15||Prof. A Sridharan,INSA Honorary Scientist & Former Deputy Director & Advisor, IISc ,B’lore||Success in Academics|
Several technical talks by professional experts and many veterans from the industry are being organized for the students. With an intension to improve the employability of students one day workshops have been conducted in collaboration with established professional bodies.
- Graduate Association of Consultant Engineers
- GRACE to recognize AISAT as its educational partner in the state and work towards the upliftment of education in civil engineering through seminars, workshops and technical conferences in the state of Kerala
- Indian Concrete Institute
- To collaborate, share and exchange knowledge & expertise and facilitate product development initiatives of AISAT
- Indian Geotechnical Society
- IGS –AISAT collaboration provide opportunities for students (UG&PG) and teachers /research scholars of AISAT for taking up research projects in the field of Geotechnical Engineering
- Association of Piling Specialists
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Association of Piling Specialists, Kochi and Albertian Institute of Science and Technology, Kalamassery on 23rd July, 2014 with an objective to promote professional and academic interaction in the field of Geotechnical Engineering in general and piling activities in particular.
STUDENTS FRAME WORK
- The Civil engineering students got the opportunity to host an intercollegiate quiz competition – Crescere’14, being a student chapter of Indian Concrete Institute. The quiz was organized by Indian Concrete Institute- Kochi Chapter on 1st March 2014.
- Teams from nine prominent engineering colleges participated in the event. Four teams were qualified into the finals.
- The B.Tech Civil engineering students organized Creatrix’2k15– on 26th February 2015 an inter-collegiate technical fest exclusively for the Civil Engineering students from various engineering colleges of the state.
- The day was eventful with an array of contests like ‘Eureka’- The Quiz competition, ‘Tasarim’- The Poster making, ‘Regalo’- The Power point presentation and ‘Ojo’- The Picture dialogue. All the contests had excellent participation with both external and home teams.
Beam Casting Competition
- A beam casting competition was conducted for fifth semester CE students as part of practical oriented study of Design of concrete structures.
- Winners were selected based on detailing, design procedure adopted and the presentation. Faculty members of the Civil Department evaluated the models and declared the winners.