“The best way to get started is to
stop talking and start doing”
– Walt Disney
Observing that creating startups is a “high risk-high reward job”, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said in a press meeting on September 15th, that the technology based entrepreneurship would be made a key part of engineering education in the state.
“For Kerala to become a developed state, the most important thing is to create a positive and entrepreneurial mindset among youth, especially students, and with this intention we are now going to make entrepreneurship a key part of B-tech degree education,” he said.
- At least once in life every one might have dreamt of ‘Being your own Boss’. If you have such a passion and ‘Always wanted to be your own boss’ – Then starting something of your own is the greatest option ever.
- Startup is trending more as a fashion then a career option. Being your own boss does not mean you can ignore work and life would be easy. Starting your venture and making it succeed would be the toughest of all the things you can do. It will have ups and downs every new day. Maybe you would not get any client for the whole year.
- Be ready for the challenges and immense learning if you are determined to be an entrepreneur. This is the road less traveled.
- Startup Village is a technology business incubator in Kochi and it is India’s first incubator that is funded jointly by the public and private sector.
- The promoters of Startup Village are Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, Technopark Trivandrum and MobME Wireless.
- Kris Gopalakrishnan, co-founder of Infosys and the most successful IT entrepreneur from Kerala, is the chief mentor at Startup Village.
- Tax Exemption – Companies in incubators recognized by the ‘The National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board’ of the Department of Science and Technology are eligible for service tax exemption for 3 years and up to 50 lakh of revenue.
- Startup Village Angel Fund – Companies are by default selected to make a pitch presentation to Startup Village Angel Fund. This Angel Fund is backed by some of the biggest names in India’s business community.
- Consulting Service by KPMG – Initial tax support services is provided to start-ups. Free advice is provided from an Indian tax and regulatory perspective.
- For more details log on to : http://www.startupvillage.in/incentives.html
- Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd (KSIDC) is mandated to attract and promote industries in Kerala.
- ‘A Guide to Investors’, KSIDC helps to develop a business dream in to reality.
- The corporation has so far promoted more than 750 projects in the State with an investment outlay of Rs. 5155 crores providing employment to approximately 72500 persons!
- For more details log onto : ksidc.org/
KERALA TECHNOLOGY STARTUP POLICY 2014
- The Government of Kerala aims to provide an ecosystem where the youth of the state can reach his/her maximum potential.
- Kerala State Innovation Council (KSInC) has been set up by the Government of Kerala on the lines of the National Innovation Council (NInC) with the intention of suggesting efficient, sustainable and cost-effective innovative solutions, for good governance and for the overall economic development of the State.
- Kerala is the first and only state in the country to have 1% of the State’s annual budget ear-marked for entrepreneurship development activities
Technopark Technology Business Incubator
- Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM) formerly known as ‘Technopark Technology Business Incubator’ , is the India’s first and Most successful Non Academic Business Incubator, hosted and housed inside the Asia Largest IT Park Technopark. Technopark Technology Business Incubator (T-TBI), a joint association of Technopark, Trivandrum and the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, to help the technology business start-ups, started operation during 2007.
- For more details log onto: https://startupmission.kerala.gov.in/kerala-startup-mission
KFC (Kerala Finance coporation)
- Kerala Financial Corporation (KFC) incorporated under the State Financial Corporations Act of 1951, is a trend setter and path breaker in the field of long term finance, playing a major role in the development and industrialization of Kerala.
- The Corporation has now emerged as a financial supermarket giving the customers a wide range of products and services.
- KFC has also has made a small beginning to nurture and develop a new managerial cadre that can dream, envision and create a new future by starting the KFC Training Division.
- KFC now means more than term loans. Corporation also provides Working Capital finance and Short Term Finance apart from schemes focused at the weaker sections of the society.
- For more details log onto: http://www.kfc.org/
The various summits of young Entrepreneurs happening in the State includes:
- ‘YES CAN 2015’, the second edition of Young Entrepreneurship Summit (YES)
- ENTREPRENIA 15
- Emerging Kerala 15
And many more…..